Server Deployments Week 31 (Week Commencing Monday July 29th)
As always, please refer to the week’s forum deployment thread for news, updates and feedback.
Second Life Server (SLS Main) Channel
On Tuesday July 30th, the SLS Main channel received the server maintenance package previously deployed to BlueSteel in week 30 and LeTigre in week 29. This project includes:
- A further fix for the issue of pathfinding characters using CHARACTER_STAY_WITHIN_PARCEL getting stuck if they somehow exited their home parcel
- Fixes for objects failing to detect collisions after teleporting (BUG-969) and run time permissions failing to function correctly on attachments (BUG-2931)
- New capabilities added to the materials system to control how quickly the viewer can set or query normal and specular maps on objects. The current maximum is once a second and the new capability will be 4 a second. However there will need to be a viewer-side update to make use of the new capability, which should be available soon. Commenting on the capability, Maestro Linden said, “the difference will probably be most noticeable if you’re doing something like rotating the normal map on an object with the spinner control (holding down the button) it should update more quickly to observers in that case.”
Release Candidate Channels – Wednesday July 31st
- Magnum and LeTigre will remain SSA enabled and both received the updates deployed to the Main channel.
- BlueSteel should have received a new server maintenance project. However, as noted in the update to part 1 of this report, a last-minute bug was found in the code which meant the deployment didn’t go ahead with the result that it is currently running the same release as the Main channel.
There have been a number of viewer release candidate updates for the end of the week:
- The Google Breakpad RC was updated on Tuesday, July 30th (184.108.40.2069026 – download and release notes)
- The Snowstorm contributions appeared in a release candidate on Wednesday, July 31st (220.127.116.119119 – download and release notes)
- The Vivox RC was updated on Wednesday, July 31st (18.104.22.1689258 – download and release notes)
- The CHUI updates became the latest viewer release candidate on Thursday, August 1st (22.214.171.1249321– download and release notes)
The appearance of the CHUI and Snowstorm RCs brings the total number of cohorts in the release channel up to five.
Animation Syncing Issues
Speaking at the Server Beta meeting on Thursday August 1st, Maestro Linden said that he and Alexa has been looking into the animation syncing issue I noted in part 1 of this report. Their findings pointed to an issue going back to 2012, whereby someone who is dancing in sync with others can cams such that all of the group is out of the field-of-view and then cams back, their own avatar will be out of sync with the rest. As such, Maestro felt the issue might be related to JIRA VWR-10578.
Following the meeting, a number of us participated in a “group dance test” to see what would happen, and the experiences varied somewhat, with some reporting issues consistent with the long-standing problem, others seeing avatars slip out of sync without and camera movement, and some reporting the avatars on the very edge of their field of view appearing to be dancing slower than the rest, and starting to slide out of sync. This lead to a lot of speculation as to the possible causes, and also as to how much settings such as avatar imposters or message throttling might be influencing the viewers play-through of animations. Maestro did suggest some of the issues may be down to some sort of message sorting behaviour based on where the avatars are, relative to camera view. As it was, no definitive outcome was reached, so it is liable that investigations may continue.