The following notes are taken from the TPV Developer meeting held on November 1st, 2019. A video of the meeting is embedded below, my thanks as always to Pantera for recording and providing it. This was a relatively short meeting, with some conversation on the viewer building process – error reporting, replacing cygwin with Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) that are not reflected in the notes below – please refer to the video (between 9:23 and 15:35.
SL Viewer News
- On Thursday, October 31st:
- On Friday, November 1st, the EEP RC viewer updated to version 22.214.171.1242314.
Note that while it has not been tested, it is believed the voice plug-in with the Voice viewer is compatible with other viewers that are otherwise up-to-date with viewer release.
The remaining viewer pipelines remain as follows:
- Release channel cohorts:
- Project viewers:
Upcoming Viewer Improvements
- There will be further improvements made to voice. These will largely be focused on the overall robustness of voice operations.
- The first viewer built using the updated build process using Visual Studio 2017 and Xcode 10.3 is currently caught in QA, but should hopefully be appearing “soon”.
- Once the new build process viewer has gone through the RC process, LL plan to update the Chrome Embedded Framework (CEF – media handling) within the viewer.
Inventory Issue Handling Changes
[2:55-7:28] Broadly speaking, inventory issues that occur at log-in have been largely handled as viewer-side fixes (e.g. the viewer fails to receive data on the Outfit folder, and responds by creating a new Outfit folder). However, these kinds of “fixes” can lead to problems of their own in inventory handling (e.g. it can lead to duplicate folders, requiring Support to run an inventory transform to correct – such as in the case of the Current Outfit Folder being duplicated).
Instead, the Lab is working to give the servers more of a say when the viewer believes it has encountered an inventory syncing issue when logging-in. Instead of the viewer attempting to fix things, it will call back to the servers and have them fix matters by sending / re-sending inventory data.
Currently, the server end of this work is in progress, and a viewer with code changes to support this new approach will be appearing Soon™. These updates will be kept to a separate viewer branch to allow TPVs to absorb them quickly as the reach a state in which they can be adopted.
- [15:38 (text)-19:15] BUG-225655 “Viewer freezes while “Loading world…” – Intel HD 620 / Intel HD 630, Windows 10″ has a new wrinkle, as per Whirly Fizzle’s comment on the bug report. Firestorm has a fix that could be contributed, and LL have indicated a willingness to look at it.
- [25:41-27:26] BUG-227818 “MapLayerRequest does not appear to work” – this refers to a request type that asks the simulator to relay a list of all the map layers and which is failing to behave as expected. The bug report has been requested in order for LL can look into the problem.