As always, please refer to the server deployment thread for updates and news.
- On Tuesday, April 9th the SLS (Main) channel was updated to server maintenance package 19#19.04.09.526122, previously deployed to the main RCs in week #15, and comprising logging improvements related to teleporting.
- RC deployments were still TBA/TBC at the time of writing; I’ll update when more information is available.
At the time of writing, there had been no viewer updates to mark the start of the week, leaving the SL viewer pipelines as follows:
- Current Release version 22.214.171.1245446, formerly the Love Me Render RC viewer, dated March 26, promoted April 2 NEW.
- Release channel cohorts (please see my notes on manually installing RC viewer versions if you wish to install any release candidate(s) yourself):
- Project viewers:
- Linux Spur viewer, version 126.96.36.1999906, dated November 17, 2017 and promoted to release status 29 November – offered pending a Linux version of the Alex Ivy viewer code.
- Obsolete platform viewer, version 188.8.131.520847, May 8, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7. This viewer will remain available for as long as reasonable, but will not be updated with new features or bug fixes.
It is anticipated the EAM release candidate viewer could be promoted to de facto release status this week.
Teleport Disconnects and Region Crossing Issues
Following the Simulator User Group meeting on Tuesday, April 9th, the Lab asked those attending to engage in a stress test of teleports to help gather data on the ongoing disconnect issues. Commenting on the results at this week’s meeting, Simon Linden also reiterated what the Lab believe is happening:
We have some good info on the underlying causes and are working on fixes, but don’t have a real improvement yet. it usually fails as the viewer and 2nd region don’t start communication properly, so I’ve been digging through that code and all the ways it can fail … that’s my life lately … I’m sure I’ll have something new for testing in a day or two so hopefully next week’s updates will be better, or at minimum give better information.
When asked if the issues with vehicle crossings are related to the same potential cause, he added:
I haven’t looked specifically at vehicles so I can’t say, but it’s possible, yes. I tried a boat trip around a new Linden Homes continent and it was a challenge, to put it politely.
In the meantime, new code that might help relieve the issue was deployed to the Cake mini-RC channel on Tuesday, April 16th. Those wishing to test crossings on this channel can do so on the following regions: Morris, Arnthrud, Croak, Gouda, Impeller, Kasba, Oak Bay, Sapars, Yongma. Constructive feedback can be sent via IM or note card to Simon Linden.
When testing, please wait around 2-3 minutes between each teleport to allow you to fully disconnect from the region you have just departed, particularly if you intend to just bounce back and forth between the same two regions (data is retained for a short time by a region you’ve just left, in case you want to rapidly want to TP back, and this data needs to be dropped during testing, as it can affect results).