Server Deployments Week #20
As always, please refer to the server deployment thread for the latest updates.
- On Tuesday, May 17th, the Main (SLS) channel was updated with a server maintenance package previously deployed to the RC channel, containing minor internal improvements and a crash fix.
- On Wednesday, May 18th, all three RC channels should be updated with a new server maintenance package, originally held over from week #19, described as also minor internal improvements with no visible functional changes to Second Life.
A new RC viewer appeared in the release channel on Monday, May 16th. Version 126.96.36.1995019 is the anticipated Inventory Message Viewer. This viewer comprises Aura Linden’s work removing from the viewer all of the old UDP inventory messaging paths which have already been replaced by more robust mechanisms (and in some cases already had the server-side support for them removed), but which have until now remained a part of the viewer’s code.
A full list of the messages which have been removed can be found in the release notes for the viewer, and it is noted that any messages in the list which still have back-end support will see that support removed in the near future.
This means the current SL viewers which are available comprise:
- Current Release version: 188.8.131.524579 (dated April 28th, promoted May 5th) – formerly the Maintenance RC viewer
- Release candidate viewers:
- Quick Graphics RC viewer, version 184.108.40.2065117, dated May 11th – comprises the graphics pre-sets capability and the new Avatar Complexity settings
- Inventory Message RC viewer, version 220.127.116.115019, as noted above
- Project viewers:
- Obsolete platform viewer version 18.104.22.1680847, dated May 8, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.
As a reminder, it is anticipated that server-side support for Project Bento will be enabled on the main (Agni) grid some time during week #21, to allow for more extensive testing of the new avatar skeleton capabilities. Those wishing to try the skeleton extensions and new sliders when rigging mess models will need to use the Bento project viewer or a third-party viewer with the Bento code.
Note that if you are running a non-Bento viewer and happen across someone testing the Bento capabilities, any mesh they are wearing rigged to the new Bento bones will appear distorted / broken in your view.
Issues continue with Aditi (the beta grid), notably with apparent inventory content loses and even the potential for inventory corruptions (see BUG-16714 for details of some of the issues being encountered).
These problems take the form of assets appearing in inventory, but generating a “Missing from database” error when attempting to rez / wear / attach. Some reports suggest the issue is restricted to items added to Aditi inventories following the most recent syncing operations between Agni and Aditi. Normal corrective actions, such as clearing cache, do not correct matters.
The Lab staff looking after the beta grid have been appraised of the situation, and summed-up their response in a single phrase (and I’m apparently quoting): “bleargh!” – an understandable reaction, given the upsets Aditi caused in week #19. They are however, digging into the problem.