The 2014 Relay for Life weekend in Second Life is upon us, and with over $300,000 USD already raised this year, it look like the weekend is going to be a scorcher. The theme for the weekend is Journey of Promise. As with previous years, the weekend will be focused on the 42-regions Relay Track and activity regions and the American Cancer Society region.
The aim this year is to raise $401,000, with $382,000 already raised. 401 is the form used to mark retirement in the USA, and the plan is to retire cancer!
The following are the main events scheduled for the weekend – but remember that there are relay laps, entertainment and more going on across the entire weekend. All times are, as usual, SLT.
Saturday July 19th
- 10:00: Opening Ceremony
- 11:00: Survivor/Caregiver – CELEBRATE
- 12:30: Teams Lap
- 14:00: CRAZY HAT – wear the craziest hat you can find
- 15:00: CARTOON CHARACTER/ANIME – become that cartoon character of your dreams
- 16:00: BLACK AND WHITE – wear only black and white during this lap
- 17:00: SCI-FI/FANTASY – represent the Sci-Fi or Fantasy character that you wish to be
- 18:00: PIRATES – pull out your eye patches, pirate hats, scarves and more!
- 19:00: BALD IS BEAUTIFUL
- 20:00: PURPLE!
- 21:00: Luminaria Ceremony – REMEMBER
- 22:00: MOST COLOURFUL – how many colours can you wear?
- 23:00: 10TH ANNIVERSARY – ONE TEAM!
- Midnight: PJ PARTY
Sunday July 20th
- 01:00: HOPPY BALL BOUNCE WITH US – bounce around the track! Find your hoppy balls in the Relay Info Stations!
- 02:00: SIXTIES (60’s)
- 03:00: BEACH PARTY
- 04:00: KIDS and CHILDREN – dress up as a kid, shrink your avatar
- 05:00: HEROES EVERY DAY AND SUPER – we all have those we consider heroes…who is yours? Superman, parents, doctors, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc
- 06:00: Fight Back – make that pledge…what will YOU do to fight back against CANCER?
- 07:00: INTERNATIONAL, CELEBRATE YOUR NATION! – wave your flag, dress up in your colours
- 08:00: COFFEE AND DOUGHNUTS IT’S BREAKFAST TIME!
- 09:00: FORMAL HOUR – time to put on your finest gowns and suits and walk the track in those dress shoes
- 10:00: CLOSING CEREMONY – head over to the Activities Regions and tune in to the stream
- 11:00: VICTORY LAP
- 12:30: RAFFLE DRAWS
- 13:00: SILENT AUCTIONS end
The Luminaria Ceremony and Fight Back
At 21:00 SLT on Saturday July 19th, the Luminaria Ceremony will talk place. The track regions will all be set to midnight and thousands of luminaria will be lit, each one representing a survivor or someone who has passed away from cancer. People are invited to walk the track in silence for one hour as dedications are read over the broadcasting stream.
06;00 SLT on sunday July 20th will mark Fight Back. Pick up your specially made FIGHT BACK ARMY CAP and Fight Back Flags – available at the Relay Stations, and join us as we make our fight back pledges to save a life this year; your own, a friends, a family member, or someone you don’t even know yet.
Where to Start
The best place to start is the Welcome Area, particularly if you’ve not participated in the RFL of SL weekend. Here you can pick-up your track tools, which will record the distance you walk around the track and allow you to chat with friends and those around you and walk at the same time. You can also obtain a reference guide to the luminaria donation colours and detailed of the themed laps for the weekend. Greeters will also be on-hand to answer any questions you may have. Once you’re ready to go, use the teleport to get to the track regions.
- Welcome Area
- Main Activities stage:
- Music Stage 1
- Music Stage 2
- Music Stage 3
- Survivor / Caregiver Campsite
- Silent Auction
- Silent Art Auction
- RFL of SL Museum