The Birthday Time Capsule
The Time Capsule is a traditional part of the SL birthday celebrations. It is used to contain items donated by SL residents, which are placed on display at future SLB celebrations. Another traditional part of the SL birthday celebrations is the competition to create the time capsule for the current year’s celebration, and SL10BCC is no exception to both traditions!
We’re inviting residents to try to create a time capsule for this year’s event which represents either something significant which has occurred this year within SL (for example, SL4B’s capsule had flexis, SL5B’s used glow) or something inspired by the theme of this year’s theme Looking Forward, Looking Back (again, as examples, SL6B’s capsule was a meteorite chunk for its space theme, SL8B’s was a modified version of the event logo, SL9B’s was a giant cake).
If you’re interested in submitting a design, here are the general guidelines:
- Keep your design relatively low-prim; some older designs reached up to 96 prims, and we need to keep things relatively modest
- Keep the size manageable; the SL3B vault was 6m cubed, and we’d like to consider that at the top end of the scale; while designs that go over this limit on one side or two won’t be disqualified, we don’t have room for the Death Star…
- Please make sure your submission is FULL PERMS. We may have to make modifications to it – such as adding the actual contents!
- If the capsule is designed to open, please supply a “closed” and an “open” version – no need to script it opening – we can help with that, just so long as we have versions that present the illusion of opening it
- Some particle activity is OK, but again, please keep it manageable: no huge firework displays with the capsule opens or anything
- Feel free to design your own pedestal or display case for your capsule – particularly if it is small enough to warrant a pedestal / display case of its own
- If you wish to keep a copy of your design, please make sure you do so before passing the original over; it may not be possible to return it to you after the fact – although in a worst case, we’ll do our best
- If you’re not a good builder, do not worry. Just submit your design as best you can. We’re hoping to find a willing volunteer who might help out in touching up the winning design if you’re afraid that your skills aren’t up to the task at hand
- Be creative and remember that this year’s theme is “Looking Forward, Looking Back” if you want to go in that direction
- Please get your designs to us ASAP – we’re a little late getting this notice out, but we’d ideally like to have the winning design available at SL10BCC when the gates open on the 16th June.
The closing date for submissions is midnight on the 15th June. To submit a design, or to ask any questions on the matter, please contact the Keeper of the Capsule, Will Webb. Note that previous capsules can be seen upon request for those who require a little inspiration or guidance in developing a design.
There are no guarnatees you’ll win, you may have the nicer design technically, but someone else’s might fit the theme better – but why not have a little fun and see what you can come up with.
Calling All SL10B Event Organisers
There are SL10 Celebrations planned all over the grid and we want to give our visitors a direct flight to every event we can. If you are planning a Birthday party, performance, festival or feast from June 16 to 23, just send us the information and we’ll add you to the big Connections Board!
Pass a folder in-world to Honour McMillan with the following contents:
- A notecard with a description of the event; what it is, the date(s) and time(s), the maturity level and a landmark
- A photo or poster for the event. Please note that the image must satisfy the General Maturity guidelines, even if your event is Moderate or Adult
- The photo or poster must be a texture sized no more than 512 in any direction
- The notecard and the texture must be full perm.
ALSO – If you know of an event please ask them to contact Honour. The entire world is celebrating and we want to share invitations to as many locations as possible!