This weekend, Linden Lab are running a Land sale for both full and Homestead regions.
Case submissions received between 12:01 SLT today, Friday 21st October 2011 and 23:59 SLT on Sunday, 23rd October, and which are approved will have their associated set-up fees waived.
This means someone wishing to have a full private region will gain a saving of $705 (+VAT in Europe) and someone wanting to have a Homestead region (subject to them already owning a full region) will save $280 (+VAT in Europe).
Key points in the offer are:
- To be eligible for the promotion, applicants must:
- Have a valid method of payment on file when placing an order
- Follow LL’s Island Naming Guidelines
- Place their orders between 12:01 SLT on Friday 21st October 2011 and 23:59 on Sunday 23rd October 2011; orders received outside of these times will not be processed
- Pay all associated tier as part of the monthly billing cycle, together with any VAT required, with the first payment due on taking delivery of the sim (normally combined with the set-up fee)
- Developed (themed) islands are not part of the promotional offer
- In the case of Homestead order, you must own at least one full private island sim
- The offer cannot be combined with any other LL promotional offer.
All common starting terrains are available as part of the offer. Regions should be delivered within 24 hours of order acceptance.
It’s going to be interesting to see the response to the offer – if only for bloggers elsewhere. Much ado has been made about SL’s impending demise as a result of a declining private region count on several fronts, so doubtless there will be some out there who will paint this as a move to try to reverse the slide (something I don’t actually agree with – were it so, one would think the offer would be extended over a slightly longer period).
It’ll also be interesting to see, overall, how much impact this offer has for those who already have significant sim holdings in SL, and to whom this offer is likely to have something of a greater appeal – especially where Homesteads are concerned. How much appeal it has to the private individual within SL, however, is still questionable. The problem with land “ownership” in SL isn’t so much the set-up fee (although that obviously hurts), it’s the tremendously high tier fees.
However, whether Linden Lab release figures related to this offer is questionable; it’s likely the answer will only come in time via Tyche Shepherd’s monthly Grid Survey.
For more information on land ownership in general see the following LL knowledge base articles: