The 2018 Virtual Worlds Best Practice in Education (VWBPE) conference takes place between Thursday, April 4th and Saturday April 6th, 2018 inclusive. A grass-roots community event focusing on education in immersive virtual environments, VWBPE attracts 2200-3500 educational professionals from around the world each year.
As with recent years, the conference is focused on the 8 core VWBPE regions in Second Life, centred on the VWBPE Gateway.
The best way to keep abreast of the full schedule is via the VWBPE 2019 event calendar. By default, this displayed in posterboard (shown below), but can easily be switched to agenda, month or stream views via the drop-down menu in the top right corner. Individual events can also be added to a number of personal calendars – Google, Outlook, Apple – making it even easier for attendees to track the events and activities they particularly want to attend at this year’s conference.
The following is a (personal) selection of events those curious about VWBPE 2018 might want to attend. All times SLT:
Thursday, April 4th
- 14:00-14:50 – What’s New At the Lab with Patch and Grumpity Linden in the Main Auditorium.
- 16:00-17:00 – The Making of Our Digital Selves: My Avatar and Me: at the VWBPE social plaza.
Friday, April 5th
- 09::00-09:50 – Keynote: Teacher Training with Virtual Worlds – Main Auditorium: Dr. Tuncer Can, Istanbul University looks at how training teachers within Virtual Worlds could enhance innovation in the class and change the lives of real people by ensuring them.
- 10:00-10:50 – Non-Profit Commons Past Reflections, Future Directions – VWBPE 2019 Quadrivium.
- 11:00-11:50 – Perspectives on virtual professional learning communities – VWBPE 2019 Lecture Area A.
Saturday, April 6th
- 11:00-11:50: Keynote: Crossing the Horizon together: Scanning, transforming, and sharing “What Works” in Immersive XR – Main Auditorium: Dr. Jonathon Richter, Salish Kootenai College and Executive Director discusses the Immersive Learning Research Network facilitates collaboration between computer scientists, game developers, educators, learning scientists, and others.
- 12:00 noon-12:50: Blue Mars on Virtual Harmony for agile mindsets – VWBPE 2019 Lecture Area B.
- 12:00-12:50: Re/visioning virtual education – VWBPE 2019 Quadrivium.
- 14:00-14:50: Catching up with Thinkerer – Main Auditorium.
VWBPE takes place across 8 regions (including the exhibitors spaces). While exploring on foot is fun, the quickest way to get to event / activity venues is via the VWBPE Gateway and using the teleport boards there, and similar boards at each of the primary VWBPE events areas.