One of the fun elements introduced to Fantasy Faire in 2015 was the opportunity to nominate and then vote for the King and Queen of the Fairelands and their (strictly non-human) Chancellor. Nominations came from across all realms of fantasy, with the top five for the positions of king and queen (human or human-looking nominations only) and chancellor, went forward for a public vote-off during the course of the Faire.
The event has since become a staple of the Faire, and it is once again back for 2020, with nominations now open. It’s important to note that this has nothing to do with avatars or people per se, but is a fun election purely for characters from works of fantasy, with the “winners” announced at the end of the Faire.
Nominees can be from written fantasy, graphical novels, cartoons, films, television or radio series, and from genres such as fairy tales, high fantasy, magical stories, urban fantasy, vampire sagas or steampunk, etc. The only major requirements are that nominations for king and queen must be human (or human-type) characters, whilst nominations for chancellor are restricted to non-human (or non-human type) characters, and that the winners from the previous year are no eligible for re-election.
How It Works
- Nominations are made between now and the end of Saturday, April 25th, 2020(23:59 SLT), using the form below.
- The top five nominees for each role – king, queen and chancellor – will be selected for a final vote-off.
- During the Faire, people will have the opportunity to vote for their favourites.
- There is a fee payable for voting, but all money raised will go to Relay for Life.
- The winners will be announced at the Fantasy Faire Live Auction on Sunday, May 3rd.
- 2019: king: the Goblin King (Labyrinth – 2nd time); queen: Ser Brienne of Tarth (Game of Thrones); co-chancellors: Falkor, the Good Luck Dragon (Neverending Story and Kalessin of Earthsea (Earthsea novels). Not these are not eligible for nomination again in 2020
- 2018: king: Gandalf; queen: Galadriel; chancellor: Totoro.
- 2017: king: Serverus Snape (Harry Potter); queen: Leia Organa (Star Wars); chancellor: Rhiow (Book of Night With Moon).
- 2016: king: The Goblin King; queen: October Daye; chancellor: The Last Unicorn.
- 2015: king: Havelock Vetinari; queen: Granny Weatherwax; chancellor: Greebo the Cat.