Following the launch of the new Linden Homes, those sailing around / flying over the new continent quickly ran into an issue: banlines being thrown up around parcels.
On Tuesday, April 16th, 2019, the Lab responded to this problem by disabling the use of parcel banning across the estate. At that time, and to prevent the use of overly aggressive home security systems, the Lab indicated they would be providing a dedicated security option for the new Linden Homes for those who feel security options are warranted.
This new system was officially issued on Friday, April 26th, 2019, via a forum announcement by Patch Linden. In short, the system:
- Can be obtained via the House / Houseboat Content Creation Pack available through the Linden Homes selector (mail box or life buoy) outside of each type of home.
- Is automatically set to give a formal 15-second warning before ejecting someone from a parcel.
- This time cannot be shortened, but longer times can be set, if desired.
- It is intended to give loiterers enough time to remove themselves from a parcel.
- Ejection has been selected, rather than TP home, in order to allow passers-by who may have been distracted to resume their journey.
- Can be used in a Linden home or any skybox placed over it. However:
- The system will only operate to a maximum of 400m above/ below its current location.
- The system will not work between 100m and 2,000m above sea level (2,000m being the minimum height at which skyboxes must be placed).
- Includes options for Group access and for individual white listing of visitors.
The system is contained within its own box in the House / Houseboat Content Creation Pack, which contains the security unit, an instructions note card and sample configuration note card for setting your white list, if required.
Designed to be wall mounted, the system is a simple (5 land impact) panel with five buttons:
- The enable / disable button and the Help button (displays brief notes in local chat) either side of the status light at the top of the panel (red = off; green=active).
- Here: sets the altitude of the panel – this must be done on placing or moving the panel.
- Upper Limit: sets maximum operating height above the system’s current position in which it will be effective (cannot exceed 400m).
- Lower Limit: sets the maximum distance below the system’s current position in which it will be effective (cannot exceed 400m), when used in a skybox.
The Upper Limit and Lower Limit buttons display similar dialogue boxes, allowing the range of each to be increased / decreased in 50,m 100m, and 300m increments.
At the time of the April 16th blog post, it had been indicated that all other security systems would be outlawed from use within Bellisseria. However, as Patch notes in his forum post, this is not currently the case – so long as personal security orbs and the like operate within the guidelines set above:
We feel as a compromise, at the present you may only use other security systems that conform to the same Linden Homes Security System standards (warning time no shorter than 15 seconds, no greater detection range than 400m in height; must only work within the boundaries of your parcel, and eject instead of teleport-to-home). If we incur too many issues with non-conforming security systems, we will update the policy to prohibit the use of all non-Linden provided security systems in the new Linden Homes regions.
Hopefully, the new panels will, alongside the parcel ban list (which still functions), and the house access options for all doors, meet all the security requirement people might feel they need with their Linden Home. From my perspective, they are an excellent compromise from the Lab that allow people maintain the security / privacy they might feel they require whilst still fostering freedom of movement within Bellisseria which may in turn (hopefully) encourage a greater sense of community among residents and help build friendships and community activities.