Update: subsequent to this article being published, the Lab issued their own blog post on the new project viewer.
Linden Lab released a project viewer for materials processing on Monday April 8th, to go with the server-side support already released.
Materials Processing video demonstration
This is very much an “alpha” status viewer, and as such comes with a series of caveats, including:
- The viewer is still very fragile
- It is still subject to change in various ways
- It should not be used on content you care about – particularly if said content is MODIFY / NO COPY.
As Oz Linden wryly commented at the Open-source Dev meeting where the release was announced, “Regular attendees may notice some small changes in my raft…. I had to reconstruct it because I messed it up playing with this viewer (mostly my fault).” So, if you plan to download and play with the viewer, be warned!
For information on the materials project, please read my overview.
The download itself is available on the Lab’s Alternate Viewers wiki page.
- Materials project viewer download
- Release notes for project viewer
- Bitbucket repository (it is recommended that this code is not merged into existing viewers at this time, as it is buggy, without the sunshine merge and liable to change)
- Materials Data – SL wiki
- Materials processing: the what, why and where
- Materials processing – more sneak peeks