The following notes are taken from the TPV Developer meeting held on Friday, July 24th, 2020. These meetings are generally held every other week, unless otherwise noted in any given summary. The embedded video is provided to Pantera – my thanks to her for recording and providing it. Time stamps are included with the notes will open the video at the point(s) where a specific topic is discussed.
SL Viewer News
The promotion of the Tools Update RC viewer to de facto release status didn’t go as intended, resulting in the promotion being rolled back to viewer version 188.8.131.523157, dated June 11th, promoted June 23rd, formerly the CEF RC viewer. In addition, a further version of the Tools Update viewer was issued in RC form.
The roll-back was due to the Tools Update viewer causing incoming new users to crash on arrival at the welcome islands. Presumably, the arrival of a second Tools Update RC viewer is to allow comparative testing between the two versions in an attempt to understand what is happening, the Tools Update 2 viewer having some form of internal differences to the Tool Update viewer.
There are reports that the Tools Update viewer also has a deadlock issue associated with it – see BUG-229110.
In the interim, the recommendation is for TPVs not to release version based on or incorporating the Tools Update viewer code.
Therefore, this leaves the current viewer pipelines as follows:
- Current Release viewer version 184.108.40.2063157, dated June 11th, promoted June 23rd, formerly the CEF RC viewer – ROLL BACK
- Release channel cohorts:
- Project viewers:
- Custom Key Mappings project viewer, version 220.127.116.114079, June 30.
- Mesh uploader project viewer, version 18.104.22.1683141, June 11.
- Copy / Paste viewer, version 22.214.171.1243365, December 9, 2019.
- Project Muscadine (Animesh follow-on) project viewer, version 126.96.36.1992999, November 22, 2019.
- Legacy Profiles viewer, version 188.8.131.520836, September 17, 2019. Covers the re-integration of Viewer Profiles.
- 360 Snapshot project viewer, version 184.108.40.2069111, July 16, 2019.
General Viewer Notes
- The “big push” is now on getting the Love Me Render (LMR) viewer promoted to release status. There are currently just “a few” open issues with the viewer, and the hope is these can be closed and the viewer cleared by QA for promotion “soon”. This is the viewer that includes several EEP-released fixes for things like HUD issues, specularity, etc.
- The Legacy Profiles viewer has had some back-end web integration issues that have prevented it from progressing to RC status as had been hoped at the last meeting.
- A further Maintenance RC viewer is close to being ready for issuing.
- [9:36-19:33] EEP issues:
- People continue to report noticeable performance degradations with running EEP enabled viewers. The current work-round is for users to disable Linden Water rendering (CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-7), which appears to work even when Linden Water is totally occluded.
- This is a recognised problem, and is being actively investigated. However, there may not be a single fix that resolves all performance issues, so this work may not delay the promotion of the LMR viewer, bu could end up being addressed as one or more “future fixes”.
- There are also reports of increased sudden viewer freezes / stalls within EEP enabled viewers. Again, LL is aware of such reports and is investigating them.
- In addition, there continue to be major questions as to the real value of EEP when compared to issues such as the overall impact on people having to remodel custom environments, ease-of-use within the tools, performance hits, etc.
- Firestorm’s preview release of EEP has already resulted in considerable negative feedback even amongst a limited subset of users; there are concerns that when released, it could result an large-scale user backlash.
- [20:54-24:18] Increasing the official viewer’s texture memory allowance: currently, the official viewer is pegged at using 512Mb of memory for texture handling, which can result in performance hits due to texture switching issues. This is on a list of changes LL “would like to get to” – although Kitty Barnett has offered LL a code patch (already used by some TPVs, and baed on Runitai Linden’s own code) to help.
- The fix for off-line inventory offers failing is now grid-wide. This is still awaiting an update in the official viewers, but TPVs capable of using the capability can now “go ahead and use it.”
- Those wishing to test how regions running on AWS servers can do so on Aditi, the beta grid, as follows:
- Regions Morris and Ahern (and possibly now Dore and Bonifacio, although this hasn’t been clarified).
- The majority of the Blake Sea regions – see: Blake Sea in the cloud on ADITI.