Singularity 1.8.3 has been released and as promised by Latif, it sees the recently added export capability updated.
With the new version, the Collada .DAE export option can now also include textures, rather than just exporting the bare prims. Additionally, it has the ability to apply texture parameters such as repeats, offset and others to the exported UV map, combine prim faces with the same texture and colour into one submesh and optionally skip transparent faces.
This makes the export tool even more powerful for those wishing to save their own in-world creations locally. Again, it’s important to remember that the export capabilities will only work if you are the creator of all elements of the item you are attempting to export – including the textures.
To export an item, including textures using the Collada DAE format:
- Make sure you are the creator of all parts of the item (and any textures used with it that you wish to export)
- Right click on the object and select More > More > Tools > Save DAE (if you cannot export the item, this option will be unavailable)
- A floater will open displaying information on the item, including the prims and textures you can export
- Use the Options section to define whether or not you wish to export the textures, the format in which you want them exported (.TGA being the default), and whether you wish to export the texture parameters (repeats, rotation, offsets, etc), and / or wish to skip transparent textures / consolidate faces
- Select a save location for the object and save it.
The item will be exported and saved, and can be uploaded as a mesh .DAE object into any grid supporting mesh / mesh uploads. Note that if you don’t have the right to export any of the textures in the object, they will be stripped from the copy of the object on export.
4096 Bug Fix
This version of Singularity also offers a fix for the “4096 bug” in OpenSim, wherein teleporting more than 4096 regions can lead to problems / failure. See also SVC-2941 and FIRE-11593.
In addition, version 1.8.3 includes the following updates Please refer to the release notes for the correct attributions):
- Restored Teleport, Pay, and Log buttons in the IM window
- Spanish translation update
- Audio code crash fix
- Fix for crash when RLV is enabled and viewing inventory forbidden
- Made the map dot color for everyone else customizable
- New debug settings
- ResetViewTurnsAvatar allows preventing avatar turning when camera position is reset after zooming (addresses VWR-27956)
- LiruNewMessageSound allows users to mark a specific chat session important, so “ding” sound is played for every message, not just when the conversation first starts
- NewIMsPerConversation when set will count number of new IM conversations, not just total number of new IM messages when the communicate window is closed
- NewIMsPerConversationReset allows new IMs button’s visibility to be reset when the communicate window has been opened and closed
- LogShowHistoryLines allows setting the number of lines displayed in a new IM window from the previous conversation.
- Singularity 1.8.3 download
- Singularity 1.8.3 release notes
- Singularity blog
- Article on using the object export capabilities – John Lester (with comments from Latif Khalifa on texture export)