This summary is published every Monday and is a list of SL viewer / client releases (official and TPV) made during the previous week. When reading it, please note:
- It is based on my Viewer Round-up Page, a list of all Second Life viewers and clients that are in popular use (and of which I am aware) and which are recognised as adhering to the TPV Policy
- By its nature, this summary will always be in arrears
- The Viewer Round-up Page is updated as soon as I’m aware of any releases / changes to viewers & clients, and should be referred to for more up-to-date information as the week progresses
- The Viewer Round-up Page also includes comprehensive links to download pages, blog notes, release notes, etc., as well as links to any / all reviews of specific viewers / clients made within this blog.
Updates for the week ending: 27 January, 2013
The major news for the week is that the Zen viewer has officially ceased development and has been delisted from the SL Third-party viewer directory at the developer’s request and all repositories removed from public access. The reason for this is unknown at the time of going to print with this summary.
- SL Viewer updates:
- Development rolled to 22.214.171.1249302 on January 22nd, then 126.96.36.1999515 on January 25th
- CHUI development viewer rolled to 188.8.131.529464 on January 25
- Dolphin rolled to 184.108.40.206250 on January 24th – core updates: cursor now displays in the correct position on the input line of the Places floater; moving, animated linksets will not leave phantom prims behind (LL breakage); llLoadURL no longer includes a “?” when sending URL to a browser (VWR-17689); source up-to-date with latest LL development viewer code – release notes
- Kokua issues an experimental CHUI viewer (3.4.4) on January 24, with dedicated repository
- Niran’s Viewer updated to version 2.0.8 on January 22nd – assorted UI updates (About floater and fog settings, updates to playing local sounds); revised animations speed to control speed of all animations sseen through the viewer; improvements to custom always-on mouse steering mode; XML files clean-up – release notes
- Cool VL updates – three versions for the time being, all updated on January 26th:
- Stable version rolled to 220.127.116.11
- Legacy version Legacy (v2.6 renderer) rolled to 18.104.22.168
- Experimental version rolled to 22.214.171.124
- Release notes
- Phoenix officially reached end-of-line for SL on December 31st – read more here
- Zen viewer was withdrawn from the SL TPV directory and all repositories shutdown on January 27th, 2013.