June 23rd marks SecondLife’s official 8th Birthday. To mark the event, there will once again be a week-long celebration, SL8B, commencing on Monday June 20th, 2011 and running through until Sunday 26th.
The theme this year is “The Magic of SL” – which LL describe as being “about that moment when we realized how amazing Second Life really is. It’s when we found our own personal connections to Second Life, realizing its potential in our own lives and the lives of other Residents. Whether it’s the social aspect, the content creation possibilities, or unique business and commerce opportunities, we’ve all got a tale of Second Life magic to share.”
Exhibitors are being offered 1024sq metres of space each (32×32 metres) with a maximum prim count of 234 per parcel. A total of 21 sims has been provided for the event. As well as exhibitors, the event will feature performers – singers, actors, DJs…
The key dates around the event are as follows:
- May 5—Applications for builders, exhibitors, performers, and volunteer greeters open.
- May 20—Exhibitor, performer, and volunteer greeter applications deadline.
- May 31—Accepted exhibitors are notified.
- June 1—Accepted exhibitors can begin work on their parcels at the SL8B site.
- June 5—Last day for exhibitors to to begin building.
- June 15—Deadline for all exhibitor builds.
- June 16-17—Tech rehearsal.
- June 18—Press preview.
- June 20—10:00 a.m. SLT: Gates open to the public!
- June 23—The Birthday! Special ceremonies included!
- June 26—Last day of entertainment.
- July 2—Gates close at 11:59 p.m. SLT
If there is one quibble to be had about the event it is the fact that is it rated 16 – so the Adult community in Second Life is effectively excluded. Given that a large proportion of SL users are here because of Adult related themes, and it is fair to say that Adult related items play a substantial part in the SL economy, the exclusion is something of a poke in the eye for many people.
While one obviously wouldn’t expect to see Adult activities running alongside G/PG-rated exhibits and the like, the fact remains that there is an Adult Continent. So couldn’t LL see their way clear to actually involving the Adult community in the celebrations by allocating sims in Zindra for a celebration of SL8B there? It would certainly send a more inclusive message to the community as a whole.
That aside, more effort seems to be going into SL8B in terms of raising visibility; not only is there a Wiki guide and blog posts – there is actually an official SL8B WordPress blog for events!