It’s time to highlight another week of storytelling in Voice by the staff and volunteers at the Seanchai Library. As always, all times SLT, and events are held at the Library’s home, unless otherwise indicated.
Monday, December 9th 19:00: Grey from The Wizard of London
Gyro Muggin’s reads an extract from Mercedes Lackey’s The Wizard of London, the 4th volume in the Elemental Masters series.
Set in a Victorian London where magic is real and Elemental Masters control the powers of Fire, Water, Air, and Earth, the novel follows Lord Alderscroft, Master of the British Elemental Masters Council-the most powerful Fire Master ever to lead the Council. Loosely based on The Snow Queen, The Wizard of London delves into Lord Alderscroft’s youth, when he was bespelled by an evil Elemental Master who hoped to use him for political gain.
In Grey, Sarah Jane is sent from her home in Africa to school in London because her parents felt it would be better for her health. But given the conditions in London, however, she might have been safer in the African jungle.
Tuesday, December 10th
12:00: The Dickens Project
Ce Soir Arts Presents Russell Eponym in concert.
19:00: Spirit of Steamboat
Kayden Oconnell returns to the tales of sheriff Walt Longmire, reading the ninth volume of Craig Johnson’s tales about his laconic US Marine-turned-lawman protagonist.
It’s Christmas Eve, and Longmire is reading A Christmas Carol in his office when he is visited by a ghost of Christmas past: a young woman with a scar across her forehead. He doesn’t recognise her, but she clearly knows him and his predecessor, sheriff Lucian Connally, under whom Longmire started his career as a deputy sheriff in 1972.
His interest aroused, Longmire takes the the young woman to see Connally, now a resident at an Assisted Living Home. But Connally, a former US Army Air Force pilot who flew B-25 Mitchell bombers in the Second World War, fails to recognise her. This is in some ways hardly surprising, given Connally’s frequently inebriated state.
Disappointed at the two men’s reaction, the young woman whispers a single word, “Steamboat”. In doing so, she embarks on a tale that tales Longmire and Connally back to Christmas Eve 1988, when Longmire had been a deputy sheriff just two months. The holiday season had brought with it a record-breaking blizzard – and a road accident that left Longmire and the (again inebriated) Connally with no choice but to pull a B-25 out of mothballs and make a dangerous flight through the blizzard to Denver, Colorado, in order to save a life.
Wednesday, December 11th 11:00-19:00: The Dickens Project
- 11:00: Music – Christmas Revels Around the World! with DJ Aoife Lorefield in Dickens Square.
- 13:00: Ce Soir Arts Presents Stories with Bryn Taleweaver.
- 14:00: Ce Soir Arts Presents Stories with Dubhna Rhiadra.
- 15:00: Ce Soir Arts Presents Stories with Caledonia Skytower.
- 19:00: A Child’s Christmas in Wales with Aoife Lorefield.
Thursday, December 12th
- 12:00 noon: Tea Dance (Roleplay) at the Opera House.
- 15:00: Pony Class – Handling Merrylegs.
19:00: Rock Crystal
Seemingly the simplest of stories—a passing anecdote of village life— Adalbert Stifter’s Rock Crystal opens up into a tale of almost unendurable suspense.
Young Conrad and his little sister, Sanna set out from their village high up in the Alps to visit their grandparents in the neighbouring valley. It is the day before Christmas but the weather is mild, though of course night falls early in December and the children are warned not to linger.
The grandparents welcome the children with presents and pack them off with kisses. Then snow begins to fall, ever more thickly and steadily. Undaunted, the children press on, only to take a wrong turn. The snow rises higher and higher, time passes: it is deep night when the sky clears and Conrad and Sanna discover themselves out on a glacier, terrifying and beautiful, the heart of the void…
With Shandon Loring, and also presented in Kitely (grid.kitely.com:8002:SEANCHAI).
21:00: Seanchai Late Night
Contemporary Sci-Fi-Fantasy with Finn Zeddmore.
Friday, December 13th The Dickens Project
- 09:00: Non-Profit Commons Tour of the Resource Centre.
- 20:00: Idle Rogue Productions Presents The Midnight Dinner in the Opera House.
Saturday, December 14th The Dickens Project
- 12:00 noon: Merrylegs Pony Companion Give-away!
- 13:00: Idle Rogue Productions Presents The Midnight Dinner in the Opera House.
- 18:00: Sea Shanties (Roleplay) at the Docks with Aoife Lorefield and Corwyn Allen.
Sunday, December 15th 11:30-14:00 The Dickens Project
- 11:30: WALD SCHRIDDE Live! Music Dickens Square.
- 13:00: TEA TIME with Charles Dickens – stories.
- 14:00-16:00: Fantasy Faire Radio Presents DJ Elrik Merlin – Music Dickens Square.