Originally a religious festival, Mardi Gras (“fat Tuesday”), refers to events of the Carnival celebrations, beginning on or after the Christian feasts of the Epiphany (Three King’s Day) and culminating on the day before Ash Wednesday.
This year Mardi Gras falls on February 9th, and Windlight Magazine has partnered with Riel Estates to help Second Life residents get into the party / festival mood with a photography challenge offering a total prize pool of L$ 5,000.
All you have to do is pay a visit to Riel Estate’s St. John’s Parish, where you can find old New Orleans circa 1916, and take your photos! Up to three pictures per person can be submitted to the official Flickr Group to be entered into the challenge.
On offer are three prizes to the lucky winners, who will be selected by an independent panel, who will select the winning entries based on originality, creativity, technique, incorporation of your selected location and adherence to the challenge guidelines. The prizes are:
- 1st Place: L$2,500 plus a double page ad in Windlight Magazine
- 2nd Place: L$1,500
- 3rd Place: L$1,000.
- All photos have to be posted in the official Mardi Gras Photo Challenge Flickr Group
- No more than 3 submissions per entrant
- When posting your photos please use the following naming convention: Mardi Gras Photo Challenge – Photo #1-Your SL Name (Do not use display names). Add a #2 or a #3 for the additional photos you wish to submit
- All photos must:
- Include the SLurl of the St. John’s Parish location that you used
- Be new and original. You can add the photo to other groups (please do respect the covenant of any club or venue, and make sure you obtain the permission of the venue owner to use their location in your submissions)
- Nudity or adult behaviour is not allowed
- Editing via Photoshop, Gimp, or any other graphics tools is permitted.
All entries must be submitted by midnight, Friday, February 5th, 2016, and the Flickr date and time stamps will be used to assess whether or not entries meet this criteria, so check your time zones. Winners will be announced on Tuesday, February 9th, 2016.