The theme for 2013 is “100 years of hope”, and marks the centenary of the American Cancer Society. As such, this year is being seen as an opportunity to more closely align RFL’s digital world efforts (which now also include InWorldz as well as Second Life) with the ACS.
The kick-off celebration will take place on four dedicated Kick-off regions adjoining the American Cancer Society region, which feature a central stage and the Cafe du Kick-off, set within a park and surrounded by a parade-like walk and gaily coloured houses.
The event will comprise the official opening of the RFL of SL 2013 season, complete with a number of special guest speakers. entertainment will be provided throughout the day following the opening ceremony, with DJs on-hand to spin the tunes at the central stage area throughout the afternoon, and a special dance troupe performance during the course of the festivities.
There are around 113 teams registered for this year’s season, with over 2,000 avatars listed on the team rosters – however, there is still time for people to put together a team of their own and join in the fundraising activities; teams can still be registered via the RFL of SL website.
All RFL of SL teams are warmly invited by the event organisers to attend the kick-off and mix with one another. SLurls for the event are:
The American Cancer Society region will be open through the RFL kick-off and the entire RFL season (it is open year round), and visitors are always welcome. The RFL Warehouse, located on the south side of the region, has goodies for teams, including free gestures and signs, flags, mission posters and more plus this year’s logos, all of which can be found up on the second floor.
Relay for Life SL has raised $1.5 million since its inception in 2005, and has built on its fundraising successes year-on-year. Hopefully, 2013 will see this trend continue upwards and be the best year yet.
Fashion for Life
At the same time as the kick-off event gets underway, so to does Fashion For Life, which this year occupies nine regions which face the kick-off regions from the south side of the ACS sim.
The theme for the builds accompanying this years FFL activities is “The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World”, and feature seven absolutely stunning regions located around the central welcome and event regions.
I’ve already covered a good portion of the FFL event schedule already, so won’t repeat things here. Instead, I’ll offer up some photos of the region builds for the event, which really are quite stunning and which – in the case of Bryn Oh and Thoth Jantzen – offer interesting takes on the Lighthouse of Alexandria and the Great Pyramid of Giza (although I confess to falling in love with Rebecca Bashly’s Colossus of Rhodes and Kaya Angel’s Mausoleum at Halicarnassus!).
The nine fashion for life regions are:
- Fashion For Life – Built by Eshi Otawara – Sponsored by Christianraven Resident
- Lighthouse of Alexandria – Built by Bryn Oh – Sponsored by [sYs] Design
- Great Pyramid of Giza – Built by Thoth Jantzen – Sponsored by Chop Zuey Couture and Jewellery
- Colossus of Rhodes – Built by Rebeca Bashly – Sponsored by .:EMO-tions:
- Temple of Artemis at Ephesus – Built by nexuno Thespian – Sponsored by Leri Miles Designs, Quality mesh fashion
- Hanging Gardens of Babylon – Built by Patch Thibaud – Sponsored by Tres Beau Designs in honour of loved ones lost
- Statue of Zeus at Olympia – Built by KarlinJames Zepp – Sponsored by Sonatta Morales *8* Vintage Couture
- Mausoleum at Halicarnassus – Built by Kaya Angel – Sponsored by LAZURI
- FFL Event Sim – Built by Eshi Otawara – sponsored by Miss Mundo Virtual Organization