- Server Deployments, Week 44
- Deployments for Week 45
- Threaded Region Crossings
- Avatar Baking
- Viewer Updates
- Group Proposals and Voting
- Oskar Linden
There was some confusion on the server channel deployments this week. As reported earlier this week, roll-outs were put back by a day due to issues within LL. This meant that the main channel deployment did not occur until Wednesday 31st October, and the RC channels on Thursday 1st November.
There was further confusion as the main channel had been scheduled to receive the code which had been on BlueSteel and Magnum, but it instead received code which had been on BlueSteel some two weeks ago, and caused some confusion on the Server Deployment forum discussion for the week.
Other than being 24 hours late, the RC releases were more-or-less as planned and previously documented:
- BlueSteel received the Havok updates deployed to LeTigre, complete with the lHTTPRequest header “fix”
- Magnum has the Group Services code from Baker Linden for handling the editing and managing of large in-world group lists. The code includes some fixes to problems found in the Snack RC deployment of the Group Services code (again, see part 2 of this report)
- LeTigre received further updates for the Havok deployment, etc.
In addition, Magnum received a fix for the Estate Tools debug capability to disable collisions. When enabled, the option freezes all physical objects in a region in place and prevents avatars colliding with objects. As such, it is primarily a useful tool when trying to sort-out performance issues or locate and remove unwanted objects (although in the latter case, any TPV with Area Search included can achieve the same result. The option has been broken for some time, and the code deployed to Magnum should fix it.
As they currently stand, the plans for Week 45 (commencing Monday 5th November) are:
- Tuesday 6th: the Main Channel should get the code currently running on Bluesteel and LeTigre – so this will be the Havok updates, etc
- Wedneday 7th:
- Magnum should get fixes and updates to the code currently running there (including the Group Services code)
- LeTigre and Bluesteel should get the next bug fix server in the pipeline, which includes the code currently on Magnum, and more.
- Further details will be available as the release notes are issued
This has been a project which has been going on for some time now, with Lindens working on it quietly in the background. As it hasn’t been openly mentioned in User Groups for some time, it had led some commentators to believe the project was no longer being worked on. However, as I’ve commented in these pages (and more recently quoted Baker Linden as commenting on it), the work has been progressing, and may now be nearing the time when it will see greater light of day. As a part of this, it looks like there might be a call for volunteers to participate in a “pile-on” test in the near future, specifically to test whether the new code is easing region crossing issues and generally leading to an improvement.
Questions about server-side baking are a common occurrence at OpenDev and TPV meetings.
Currently (and as all too often indicated in these reports!) work is progressing on both sides of the equation within LL, but there is currently little of major impact to report. The emphasis has been on the viewer code (which will be used as the basis for the new Texture Compositing server the Lab will be implementing.
However, it remains that are still no ETAs on the availability of either the viewer code or the server. The plan, however, remains that TPVs should receive around 2 months notice as to the availability of code for merging into test viewers. Given this, it remains highly unlikely that there will be visible progress with the project before the start of 2013.
Please use the page numbers below to continue reading